Vintage Russian Matchbox Graphics
celebrating early Soviet successes in the space race
- Luna 1 (Mechta) launched in 1959 - the first spacecraft to achieve escape velocity from Earth and reach the vicinity of the Moon.
- Sputnik 1, launched in October 1957 the first man-made object in space, it spent 3 months in orbit emitting a radio signal for approx a third of that time.
- Sputnik 2 – the second man-made object launched into earth orbit, carrying “Laika” the first living animal to leave our biosphere and enter space.
- The relative distances (in kilometers) between the Earth, Moon, and Sun.
- Luna 2 - the first space craft to reach the surface of the moon where it was purposely crash landed after 33 .5 hours of flight.
Inhabited volcanic isle of Aogashima, Japan
Fun fact: Aogashima is one of the most remote parts of Japan. The southernmost of the Izu island chain, the only way to get there is to hire a boat, or pay someone to take you. There are no ferries.
The funny thing is that Aogashima and all of the Izu islands are part of Tokyo prefecture. So technically, I could travel there and still be in Tokyo!